UNCLASSIFIED // FOUO
Mission Briefing – Saint Lucia
- Method of Insertion: Two waves of (8-9) CH-46s and CH-53s with (2) AH-1 Cobras in support. Primary LZ is LZ Broncos, 0.5km south of Vieux Fort Airport (20PQA221191). Secondary LZ is LZ Bears, 2.5km north of the Airport. Insertion time is 25 0500L OCT 83.
- Fire Support Availability: There are no friendly artillery units on the island and naval gunfire is unavailable. HMM-261 has (4) AH-1 Cobras, (2) of which will be on-station until H-Hour +2 and will provide air support within minutes if requested. The second element will be held in reserve and can be on-station within two hours. In addition, intermittent naval air support will be available consisting of A-7 Corsairs from the Independence BG.
- Enemy Movement Information: The People’s Revolutionary Army (PRA) numbers about 1,200 regulars, backed by a militia of 2,000 to 5,000 men and 300 to 400 armed police, for a total strength of between 3,500 to 6,600. The soldiers are primarily armed with light weapons: AK47s, mortars, antitank rockets, and light machine guns. Their main striking force is provided by eight Soviet BTR60 amphibious armored personnel carriers and two BRDM2 amphibious scout cars, all with heavy 14.5-mm. machine guns. Their armor and armament make them formidable weapons platforms. The most capable elements of the enemy forces, and those posing the most significant risk to any friendly units, are the antiaircraft (AA) batteries. These reportedly are equipped with Soviet-designed 12.7mm and 37mm AA guns with well-trained gunners. In addition, the PRA maintains a small coast guard with a few converted fishing boats. Finally, there about 30 to 50 Cuban military advisers, an unknown number of Cuban civilians, and about 600 Cuban construction workers are believed to be on the island.
- Terrain and Weather Information: Weather is expected to be partially-cloudy for the next three days, although there is a possible storm front coming in from the Atlantic. The terrain in the Vieux Fort area consists of relatively flat and built-up areas, hemmed in by water to the east and west, a hilly peninsula to the south, and hills and mountains to the north. About ten towns are within 10km of Vieux Fort.
- Mission Objectives: Primary mission is to secure the Vieux Fort Airport. Secondary mission is to establish a perimeter for the rest of BLT to land. Additional missions may include protecting any US nationals in the area, destroying local PRA forces, and securing Vieux Fort, including its port facilities.
- Special Rules: ROEs call for the use of only those weapons essential to the success of the mission. Disruption to the local economy is to be minimized, commensurate with the accomplishment of the mission.
- Method of Extraction: In the event of overwhelming enemy resistance, FF should retrograde to peninsula south of Vieux Fort and clear a LZ for aerial extraction.
UNCLASSIFIED // FOUO